Hurricanes are capable of producing winds in excess of 155 mph and cause catastrophic damage to coastlines and several hundred miles inland. Hurricanes can also lead to storm surges along the coast and cause expensive damage from rubbing heavy rainfall. The question to consider now is: Am I prepared for hurricane season? Here is the list of things to do before a hurricane hits:
- Build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
- Learn the elevation level of your property and whether the land is flood-prone.
- Identify levees and dams in your area and determine whether they pulled a hazard to you.
- Make plans to secure your property.
- Cover all of your homes windows. Permanent storm shutters offer the best protection from windows.
- Install straps or additional clips to fasten your roof to the frame structure this will reduce roof damage.
- Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
- Reinforce your garage doors.
- If in a high-rise building be prepared to take shelter on or below the 10th floor.
- Bring in all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans, and anything else that is not tied down.
- Consider building a safe room.
- Install a generator for emergencies.
Hurricanes cause heavy rains that can cause extensive flood damage in coastal and inland areas. Everyone is at risk so plan ahead and be prepared.